Friday, December 31, 2010

Welcome to 2011




I was talking to a girl called Oskar she is off to live in the far east, she is doing a blog so I will give her a link, look out for Milk and Cookies.


a monument to celebrate the visit of Queen Victoria to Queenstown.


Irish lights HQ.


Buoys being painted etc.







Garda cars parked on the footpath forcing wheelchair users and women with buggies to go on to the road, a fine example



Mabel who is 100 and 10 months old now. She broke her arm on Christmas day, she is a tough one and is recovering well.







This is a motorbike by the artist "Rasher" I met him, but didn't know the significance.
Here we go out of 2010 and into 2011.
The last year has been a helter skelter ride for most people, finances in a mess, jobs not too secure and house prices in sharp decline.

On the taxi front where taxi numbers continue to rise there may be hope in the courts for our situation, a new group of taxi drivers called the TTnH have been granted a judicial review in the courts. This will take a look at how the taxi industry is being regulated and to see if some drivers who invested €100,000 to buy taxi licenses should be compensated for the loss when they became worth only €6,000 from the regulator or €1,000 now second hand.
There are many other issues to be resolved, as you can imagine.

My thoughts are with the many taxi drivers who have killed themselves over the past few years. Though the situation seems hopeless try talking to the Samaritans or to the other counseling groups. Talk to MABS if you need financial help.
Think of those who are left to cope with the mess after you are gone.

I don't see any of the big boys who owe billions being upset as they rest in the Carabean homes of their wives or children.

This storm will pass, Night courses are starting up again. UP SKILL.
I met a Romanian guy last week who is starting a course on making and installing solar panels. He is the kind of guy whose example you should follow.

Well this morning I got up at 5.00am and headed off to meet the ferry. I went down and waited for the ship to come in through the mist, bang on time. Then she swung around and docked. Out came 8 foot passengers one wanted a taxi and negotiated a deal for her taxi fare....Such is life, the rest were collected.

One PM now and it is New years day in Sydney. Happy new year to the Walshes and to Sam who live there.
Now I hear that the worst flooding in 50 years has hit Queensland and an area the size of France and Germany combined is under water. Not a good start to the year.

I want to thank all the people who joined me on my many trips around Dublin, I hope we meet again. I need the money! (Joking)

I will post again soon,once again all the very best for 2011.

Oh yes this will be the year I master the tango.

4 comments:

  1. And Happy New Year to you from Toronto! I enjoy reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake you are fast,I hadn't finishe moving the photos around. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. And from Birmingham, Alabama, USA - Happy New Year to you and all who read this! I am writing this a little before 6 p.m. Dec. 31. Weather today was up to 72 (Fahrenheit) - hot! But storms to start shortly and 100% chance of rain all tonight (that will stop the neighbor kids and fireworks!) and all tomorrow, then back to freezing. Party I was going to (church folks) canceled - too many sick, and too late to go to the New Year's Eve symphony concert which is always a blast with Strauss waltzes, polkas, and so on. Netagene at http://blindedbyinsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:38 PM

    John,Please Edit and post this. A real human story about a homeless man at last finding a home.
    http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2011/01/ted-williams-homeless-man-speaks-receives-job-offers/

    ReplyDelete